As a responsible driver in Washington who has registered their car, operates their vehicle safely, and maintains liability insurance, you probably have an expectation that other drivers on the road are committed to being just as responsible as you are. However, in the event that you are in a crash with a hit-and-run motorist, your outlook may change drastically. Indeed, when a hit-and-run driver causes an accident and then flees the scene, you may be left with worries about the future and how your claim will be paid. At the office of Albrecht Law, PLLC, our Spokane hit-and-run attorney can help.
What to Do After a Hit and Run Accident
Being involved in a hit-and-run accident can be a shocking experience. While you may be confused about your options, taking the following steps can help to improve your chances of either locating the responsible driver, recovering compensation, or both.
- Call The Police Immediately: As soon as you are able to follow a hit-and-run accident call the police. Tell the operator that you have been in a hit-and-run accident, and provide as many details about the vehicle that hit you as possible.
- Seek Medical Care: You should seek medical care following an accident of any type, regardless of whether or not it was a hit-and-run. Even if you aren’t sure how you will pay for your medical expenses, seeking care should still be a top priority.
- Tell Your Insurance Company: Even if you weren’t at fault for the accident, you need to provide your insurance company with notice of the accident immediately following the crash. Your insurance company will investigate the accident and determine whether or not any of your personal coverage policies apply.
- Hire a Lawyer: The police aren’t the only ones who can investigate a hit-and-run accident and take steps to locate a responsible driver – your lawyer can open an investigation, too. Hiring a lawyer improves both your chances of locating the lawless driver, as well as recovering compensation.
Who Pays for Damages After a Hit-and-Run Accident?
When a car accident occurs in Spokane, most of the time, the driver who caused the accident is responsible for paying for any damages. However, in the event that the at-fault driver cannot be located, who will pay?
One source of compensation after a hit-and-run crash may be your own uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. You may also maintain Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, which helps to pay for your injuries regardless of fault after a crash. Further, your attorney will open an investigation to determine whether the negligence of any other person contributed to your crash and your injuries. In the event that the hit-and-run driver is located, you may be able to bring a claim against them for damages as well.
Our Spokane Hit-and-Run Lawyers Can Help
Being involved in a hit-and-run accident can be scary, especially if your injuries are serious. While few things can bring comfort after a hit-and-run crash, we want you to know that you are not alone. At the office of Albrecht Law, PLLC, our Spokane hit-and-run lawyers can help you understand your recovery options, even if the other driver cannot be located. To schedule a free consultation with our law firm, please call us directly or send us a message.
To learn more, please call (509) 495-1246
(509) 495-1246 today or send us a message. We are here to serve you.